Sunday 5 January 2014

Paper Cutting

I have always enjoyed working with paper, (see yellow submarine post). I like the blocks of colour. and the layered texture you can achieve.
This time round I was inspired by Kirstie Allsop's hand made crafty program. I forget what it was called, but I do find it a good source of new techniques that I haven't tried.
This time it was Paper Cutting.
As I researched it a bit more I discovered how far it dated back and that it originated in China. Some of the designs I saw were so detailed and intricate it must of taken years!
These days you can see amazing examples everywhere, not just online but in places like paperchase on some beautiful cards.

For my first attempt I didn't want to over complicate it and just dip my toe. I also put my own twist on it by layering more than 2 colours.
I took my inspiration from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. One of my favourite books so I decided to make a front cover for it.
I really enjoyed it, I think it came out great. The text was the most difficult aspect so good job there was only a little of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment